Community Representatives (CR’s) are student advocates, a liaison with host families and a developer of broad based local grassroots connections. They engage directly with community members, leaders, educators and administrators in schools. They build strong relationships with local schools, facilitating the enrollment of our students. Active in their communities, they invite friends, neighbors, and new acquaintances to become host families. CR’s are paid a stipend and may also earn income by locating and interviewing local teenagers to study abroad. In some areas, CR’S may also be able to arrange for short-term groups of students to live with host families during the summer and winter school breaks.
The basic responsibilities of a Community Representative (CR) include the following:
- Represent Face The World in local high schools, become active in developing space availability for exchange students
- Learn local high school policies and procedures. Attend meetings required by your school system for CR’s
- Recruit host families within your community through active marketing and outreach
- Conduct host family interviews, visiting with all family members and assessing the applicant’s home
- Ensure potential host family will provide a safe and supportive environment for our students
- Provide open, honest communication and guidance to your host families, before and after the students arrive
- Join host families in greeting their students at the airport upon arrival. Participate in student and host family orientations
- Provide support and guidance to students and host families as needed. Be proactive with your students and host families while on the program
- As a student advocate and trusted adult for your students, you maintain contact as required by Face The World policies and complete progress reports on each student
- CR’s are to remain impartial and maintain open lines of communication with their students, families and school administrators
- In the event of an emergency, act as a back-up host family
- Have fun and promote cultural exchange by planning group and cultural activities, picnics, and gatherings for students and host families in your area
For more information or to apply to become a Community Representative, please submit an inquiry via the CR/RD Inquiry form or call us today at 800-216-3223.